1.) There is a relationship between the amount of tension applied to a nylon rope and where along its length it will snap.

2.) Dependent: Where/when the rope breaks (meters)
Independent: Amount of tension (Newtons) due to mass on the end of the rope.
Control: Rope material, length of rope, and the height the mass attached to the rope falls from.

3.) One of the main aspects that makes a comic successful is realism. To be able to be interested in a comic book, it has to be believable to the reader, even if the action itself is impossible. Batman and Spiderman's ability to swing on ropes is one of the ideas that is widely accepted as fact, when really the actual action is pretty much impossible. I am doing this experiment to examine if it is actually possible for a 200-ish pound man to swing on a rope without the rope snapping, all in the name of realism!

4.) First, the materials: I would have to obtain objects of varying weight (which will be weights themselves) ranging from 10lbs to 50lbs (and I will add more weight if needed). I would also have to obtain nylon rope and cut it into pieces, each about 2 meters long, which I will measure with a meter stick. I will also have the meter stick for measuring where the rope snaps and exactly how tall my roof is. Speaking of my roof, it will be the structure that will be holding my weights. We have found a beam that will support the amount of weight that already had a sizable hole through it, so we can attach the rope and thus drop the weight from the roof itself down off the side. From there, I will drop each weight attached to the same amount of rope and calculate the force exerted. If the rope snaps, I will measure where the rope napped on it and figure out where the center of the tension was caused, making it snap.

5.) This experiment will go under Physics.

Leave a Reply