1) My first independent component is going to be a presentation, as well as additional research. The freshman this year, have a fairly new project. It started as the "Math Storybook", where they would explain a math concept or theory in a storybook and present it to the seniors. This year, the freshmen team switched it up a little and made it a Math Comic Book. While they would still be explaining a math concept and theory, they would be creating their own superhero and comic book to explain it rather than a storybook. The way I tie into this (and what my independent component is) is that I present to the freshmen class about what exactly a comic book is, how to make one, and what are the elements of a comic book/how to incorporate those specific elements. I will be doing additional research specifically towards my presentation that week and I will also be giving presentations to each of the houses that last about thirty minutes. These presentations will guide them through the process of making a comic book and will, hopefully, make them realize and appreciate what comic books are.

2) There are two basic things that will get me to my thirty hours: research and presentations. I expect to do about seven classes. Theme, character creation, planning, writing, Q&A sessions, art, and voice. I may be going into the freshmen class for more instruction later on, so I'd include that time in there as well. Let's say, 40 minutes for each presentation for each class. Meaning: every presentation, I get about 160 minutes or two and a half hours give or take. multiply this by seven, I get around nineteen hours. That's already half. Add on another two and a half hours of extra in-class mentoring and I have twenty-one and a half hours. The research for each of these would probably take an hour (to get very good research) and another half an hour to take notes. Again, times that by seven and I'm already over the time at about 33 hours. Extra mentoring with individual students and working with the freshmen team on whatever they need (grading, analysis, anything) and I've gotten a good 36 hours of independent work under my belt.

3) My independent study relates to my EQ (What are the most important elements in a successful, Modern Age comic book?) because it's a basic study of what resonates with the younger audience. What these kids make are what they see as appealing, or else they wouldn't make them. If it's based a lot on character design, or on the "realness" or "likeableness" of a character, then that'll give me more insight to my EQ. This is the best way to look at a topic like this (an 'art' related topic): it allows people to create something that they want to see, not just react to something that's already been done. I expect to learn a lot about what people think as successful from these creations.

One Response so far.

  1. Lorelei says:

    This was a great idea. Have the freshman teachers take some pics and maybe some video of you. Also, keep a journal of how things went.

Leave a Reply